What is Loofah sponge?
The loofah sponge is popularly known for its exfoliating properties, making it a great choice for people looking to improve their skin texture and overall health.
Silicone, nylon or paralon sponges are made with petroleum products, and after their use, plastic waste remains because they are not sorted and recycled. Paralon sponge takes up to several hundred years to decompose. And there will still be microplastic particles polluting the waters that enter the stomachs of animals.
So maybe it’s worth trying Loofah?
What is this loofah sponge made of?
Loofah is a plant of the genus of tropical and subtropical vines of the Cucurbitaceae family. It is grown and eaten as a vegetable, but must be harvested at a young stage of development to be eaten. The vegetable is popular in India, China and Vietnam.
The fully ripe fruits are used to make scrubbing sponges used in bathrooms and kitchens.
Dried fruits are soaked in water, peeled, and their seeds are removed. Sponges are made after completely drying the fruit – they can be cut or shaped in various ways and shapes.
How is a loofah sponge used?
This natural sponge is a complete alternative to plastic and synthetic sponges. Just as you use sponges to wash your body or wash dishes, the Loofah sponge can be used as a body care tool or in the household.
Here are some of the benefits of using loofah sponges on your skin:
- Exfoliation – Loofah sponges are great exfoliators that can help remove dead skin cells, dirt, and oil from your skin. This process not only improves the texture and appearance of your skin, but also helps unclog pores, which can prevent acne and breakouts.
- Softens skin – Loofah sponges can also help soften skin by removing dry, rough patches. This is especially helpful for people with rough feet, calluses, or dry elbows and knees.
- Improves blood circulation – Using a loofah or loofah sponge can also help stimulate blood circulation, which can improve the overall condition of the skin. Improved circulation can help your skin cells receive more nutrients and oxygen, resulting in healthy, glowing skin.
- Universal – Loofah can be used on the whole body – from the face to the feet. Use with your favorite body wash or soap.
Use of loofah in house care:
- For scrubbing fruit or vegetables – Loofah is natural (unlike plastic sponges made from petroleum products) so it is suitable for contact with food. And thanks to its scrubbing properties, it is good at removing dirt from fruits and vegetables.
- Scrubbing pans and dishes – thanks to the same scrubbing properties, you can use the Loofah to clean baked-on food residues from pans and pots. The loofah exfoliates well, but does not scratch the surface.
How to prepare a loofah for use?
A dry loofah is hard, so soak it in warm water for 20 minutes before first use to soften it. In this video you can see how to prepare a loofah sponge for use.
The loofah is 100% natural, does not contain any chemical or synthetic additives. Therefore, it can be used for children, sensitive skin or people with allergies. In addition, the Loofah can be composted after use. So you can change the loofah sponges every few months without feeling guilty about polluting the environment with plastic waste.
In summary – what are the benefits of Loofah?
The loofah can be used very universally – both for body care (especially suitable for sensitive skin, people allergic to chemicals and children) – it exfoliates and softens the skin, promotes blood circulation, and in the household – for washing fruits and vegetables, for scrubbing food residues from baked pots and pans.
100% natural – no plastic pollution after use and can be composted – an alternative to synthetic and plastic sponges made from petroleum products.